The #GALSNGEAR student program is aimed at connecting promising third, and fourth-year female students to industry careers, thought leaders, and opportunities. Our apprenticeship is a guided, hands-
on production experience during live industry events and conferences. This program benefits young women graduating college and entering the fields of cinema production, journalism, content creation and/or postproduction.
Each year #GALSNGEAR identifies 2-4 exceptional students to join our team at industry events, such as NABShow, SXSW, Sports Video Group Summit and Sundance Film Festival for an intensive production apprenticeship. These event-specific intensives are structured to give students valuable experience in producing live interviews with key industry leaders while being able to attend important gatherings that can further their understanding of the many jobs and careers available in the industry. Students are mentored by our team in producing content packages (pre-pro to post), interviewing on camera, and relationship building/ industry networking. It is an intense, high-energy, fast paced, and exciting production experience. Our students are immersed in the industry’s largest events. They gain not only production experience and a network of industry contacts, but also acquire an unparalleled perspective with which to jumpstart their careers.
We pour our love of media and broadcast into our apprentice programs and continually support/celebrate these students throughout their careers. And they reach back to us to report on their progress. Once a #GALSNGEAR, always a #GALSNGEAR.
Ideal candidate traits:
- Recognized by faculty as a proven leader among peers
- Can work independently and as part of a team
- Thrives in a fast-paced environment and when under pressure
- Is responsible, reliable, and can pivot with ease
Technical / production skills in the following areas:
- Editing on Adobe Premiere
- Familiar with creating mobile content for social media
- Interviewing on and off camera
Due to the nature of traveling to entertainment destination cities such as Las Vegas and New York, candidates must be at least 18 years of age, though 21+ is preferred.
#GALSNGEAR Production Intensive at NAB Show 2023
April 15-19th 2023
Four #GALSNGEAR Student Apprentices join the #GALSNGEAR team at NAB Show in Las Vegas April, for our industry’s main gathering to promote women working in the industry. #GALSNGEAR Apprentices support #GALSNGEAR live events by assisting with creating content, producing live shows, and interviewing leading industry women at major companies such as Dell, Sony, Canon, Edgecast, Adobe, Marvel, Disney, Avid, and countless others. During their time with us, and leading up to the event, students are mentored in video production and leadership. While on the trip, they gain industry perspective to jumpstart their careers, and are provided with invaluable networking opportunities.
- Students will each receive a free SHOW FLOOR PASS and free EVENT PASS to the #GALSNGEAR Women’s Leadership Summit – total $500 value.
- Student travel is typically underwritten by their university and should include roundtrip airfare and hotel. Some sponsorships are available.
- #GALSNGEAR provides discounted hotel rooms in conference-selected hotels (the students need to double up in each room) and needs student information no later than March 15 in order to register them for rooms.
- #GALSNGEAR covers most food and incidentals during the trip, and we typically deploy someone to get them to and from the airport, when possible, but students should have a means of buying their own snacks and some meals, and pay for a cab or Uber when necessary. The Las Vegas Convention Center is quite expensive, so we provide them with tips on where to purchase offsite for less. We also do our best to help them navigate both the LVCC and the Las Vegas downtown, and provide an adult from our team to be with them whenever possible.
- #GALSNGEAR has some video production equipment and we discuss with each incoming team the best way to cover the event.
- Typically the students need to have at least one laptop with a licensed copy of Premiere Pro loaded and ready to go.
- Students must download WhatsApp to their phones in order to access #GALNSGEAR internal communications channels during the event.
- Students must arrive in Las Vegas no later than 7pm Saturday evening, April 15. They will have a convening meeting that evening. The next morning, they will become familiarized with the location (more than 1 million square feet of show floor space in 3 convention halls—so it’s a lot to take in).
- They will film on the show floor and produce and distribute (via social media) interview packages on Sunday, April 16 and Monday, April 17.
- On Tuesday, April 18, they will cover (and therefore be able to participate in) the #GALSNGEAR Women’s Leadership Summit, which is a half-day leadership intensive.
- The afternoon of Tuesday the 18th is flexible for students to attend product demos and talks on the show floor.
- Tuesday evening, we host a CELEBRATE industry-wide networking event to which the students are invited.
- They check out and fly home on Wednesday, April 19th.
The NAB Show Production Intensive is a work environment set in the backdrop of large city, where there is access to many forms of entertainment. Students who participate in the #GALSNGEAR Apprenticeship in any city, but especially in Las Vegas, must commit to high standards of professional conduct for the duration of the production intensive, as they represent the future of women in our industry and become well known among our network of partners and sponsors.
#GALSNGEAR Production Intensive at NABShow New York, October 2023
#GALSNGEAR Production Intensive at IBC Amsterdam, September 2023
#GALSNGEAR Production Intensive at Sundance Film Festival, January 2024
#GALSNGEAR Production Intensive at SXSW March, 2024
Sponsorships are available to help underwrite the cost of student attendance at our Production Intensives. For sponsorship information, or to apply for the next intensive, please send an email to email@example.com with SPONSOR INQUIRY in the Re line. Thank you!